Three female students in the Lay Ministry Program along with faculty member, Sr. Mary Oladimeji RSM, have been displaced indefinitely following fire at their residence Monday.
A small electrical fire broke out late Monday morning and caused moderate damage to the building. Firefighters were called to the scene and put out the blaze which was mostly contained to a ceiling and attic area.
Firefighters were called once again later in the evening, when the fire reignited engulfing the home in
No one was in the house at the time of the second fire. The three students and Sr. Mary moved to Megan Hall where they planned to stay until repairs were made to St. Arnold House.
Many possessions were lost in the blaze and many others received significant smoke and water damage. Since it was the first day of the Spring semester, no homework was destroyed, but laptop computers are among the items lost.
The college has set up a fund to assist the students in replacing lost items. If you would like to contribute, contact the college at 563-876-3353 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
It seems there may have been some Divine intervention during the blaze. Though surrounded by damage and debris, a photo of Pope Francis remains untouched.